Monday, May 24, 2010

Lost - A Look Back...

Well it has been a few hours since the Series Finale of Lost....

(SPOILER ALERT-  If you are reading this I assume you have watched the Finale or you don't care about Lost and just like to read my blog.)

and my initial gut reaction was that I loved it.  There was a very big risk that the show could go out in a forced or unsatisfying way.  I would say this ending whether you liked it or not was the only way for a show like Lost to end.

From its' beginning Lost has built from episode to episode, season to season, to an end.  And as Jacob pointed out in the Season 5 finale,  "It only ends once, everything else is just progress."

Some might have watched the finale and said, "Wait they were dead the whole time."  Their next would reaction was either that is B*#&$#&$ or I knew that from episode 1.  To those people I say go back and rematch the finale, specifically the conversation between Jack and his "dead" father Christian.

Christian makes a big point of saying the time on the island was the most important time of your life.  This pretty plainly points out that they were not dead the whole time.  There could be some interpretation as to when the majority of the casts dies.  Some might argue it was as soon as the nuke went off at the end of Season 5.  I would say the last person we saw die... was Jack... in the forest with his eye closing.

Hurley, Ben, Desmond, and the rest of the survivors who escape on the Ajira plane all died at a later time that we did not/ will not ever see.  That is unless they do a spinoff, which I would add would be horrible.

To those of you who felt frustrated or let down by the ending then I don't think you got the show.  Yes it had overarching themes of good vs evil, science vs faith, and how to build a society in absolute chaos.  But the heart of the show wasn't about that stuff it was about the relationships between the characters.  Yes it would have been nice to get those nice answers to every question.  I'm glad I didn't get all the answers.

The only answer I wanted was where this great characters that I have enjoyed watching and grown to love over 6 seasons were going to end up.  And I got that answer.  The "good" characters all passed on and left their self constructed purgatory to cross over into "Heaven".

The plot of show never changed, it was always about progress.  And it ended once with everyone dying.

As Ben said, "Dead is Dead, there is no coming back from that."  Our beloved characters and now our beloved show have past on.

If anyone would like to post a comment I would love to hear what you guys thought about the finale.  I'm sure not everyone loved it as much as I did but as far as Finales go...

I don't think it gets much better then that.

Here is a funny clip from the Jimmy Kimmel Show, just as 1 more look back at a great show....

No comments:

Post a Comment